April 12, 2012

What do you see?

Let's take a look at this photo:

  

Can you tell what is inside this photo?

Let me share a hint: Our brains are conditioned (through education and upbringing) to focus on the dark part of an image to identify meaning. If we break this condition and start seeing the photo as a whole (see the black blotters AND the white space) we might be able to capture something.

Do you see that this is a photo of a cow?

Some of better-trained people with open-minded brains will see this perhaps at the moment they see the photo. Some will see this after they receive the hint (that they should include the white space as part of the photo). Some with lesser-trained, more-hardened brains will see this after they are told that this is a cow. Some with a severe case of close-minded brains will still unable to see it even after they are told about the cow.

So what's the point? Creativity is the capability of creating something new out of what seems to be impossible - something people never thought about. This requires our brain to be 'open' and see beyond the norms, such as seeing a cow in a seemingly random blotters.

This is taken from Creative Thinkering, by M. Michalko. The book is very entertaining and inspiring. It has a lot of brain exercises and techniques that eventually will train us into a more creative individual.

3 komentar:

  1. I have tried hard to see a cow, but I still cannot see it.

    Or maybe I am reluctant to try to put my judge anything in life anymore. It can be anything, as far as I know.

    Thank you for leaving a comment in my blog previously.

    Keep up your good job in your blog.

    BalasHapus
  2. Hi,

    I really like your blog, Im an engineering student, and I met the lean manufacturing as an intern in a company of my contry,and I found it that was amazing, since then im very interested in develop myself in lean manufacturing concepts, and i just want to say that your blog has a lot of usefull things for me, thank you keep on the good work

    BalasHapus
    Balasan
    1. Hi Sergio. Good to hear you find this useful. Lean is a lifelong journey and I hope you enjoy it. The key is to be able to absorb all information and keep your mind open. Stay spongy!

      Hapus